Thursday, September 16, 2010

Compassion

Throughout the years of being in school, there have been many instances where a teacher has shown compassion. Whether it was them accepting a late assignment or taking the time to make sure I understood something. But one significant instance that really sticks out in my mind was in 3rd grade. I was having the hardest time understanding and comprehending multiplication. We would do time tests all the time, and I was not improving. Ms. Gilbertson never got angry with me. She would spend time after school with me and repeatedly go over multiplication problems with me. Even when I got frustrated and wanted to give up, she would promise me that I would get better and eventually get it. While this was all going on, I had actually just moved to Austin. So not only was I having trouble doing simple math, but also the change of environments. She really helped me transition and set me up for success as a student from there on. Ms. Gilbertson was truly compassionate and adamant about me learning and succeeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment